40 North Main Street, PO Box 95
Walton, KY 41094-0095
Phone: 859-485-4383
Fax: 859-485-9710

1950's - 1960's

    In September 1950, the first full-time Catholic Elementary School in the Walton-Verona area was opened at All Saints Church under the direction of the Sisters of St. Benedict. When the Sisters of St. Benedict were recalled from All Saints, the superiors at Nazareth were asked to send four Sisters to staff the School. Because of the small enrollment, the Sisters of Charity recalled the four Sisters after only three years and All Saints School was closed.

     The Ladies Auxiliary of the Walton Fire Department was formed in 1952. These ladies did a great job of assisting the Volunteers by providing hot meals, coffee and soft drinks during emergencies. One of those times was in 1957 when there was a train derailment that took five days to clean up. During that time the Ladies served meals to the Department, the train crews and others helping. The Ladies were also on the job at all the Firemen's Picnics. They served the food and made cake and other goodies for the Bingos and other functions.

     One of the worst disasters ever to hit the City struck Friday, July 13, 1956 at 4:00 p.m. and was over in about two minutes. The tornado started at the M. L. Carey farm on Beaver Road (Hwy. 1292) and ground its way through town out Locust street, finishing at the Chapman barn. In between these points, Walton received an estimated loss of $500,000 in property damage. The miracle of the tornado was that not a single life was lost. Beaver Road (Old Beaver Road) was hardest hit, with five homes completely destroyed and others badly damaged. Roofs were blown off and windows were broken at the Walton Feed Mill, the Tie Factory, and the Walton Skating Rink along North Main Street.
     Walton was declared a disaster, and traffic was rerouted around town so clean up crews could work. The Red Cross arrived on the scene and later established headquarters in the City Hall. At the Sunday Services, Rev. Joe Tackett of the First Baptist Church, and Rev. Atkinson of the Methodist Church suggested setting up collection stands for collecting money to help the victims. Councilman D. H. Vest counted 16 cars per minute passing through at the collection points. Mark Meadows, Editor of the Walton Advertiser, expressed in his column the overall generosity of the community, organizations and neighboring communities contributing money, time and labor for the restoration of the City.

     "Top Stars of Country and Western Music Booked At Verona Lake" were the headlines in the Walton Advertiser in April of 1957. Verona Lake Ranch was a 100 acre park, located behind the (old) Verona School and owned by Thurston and Georgie Moore, with a good fishing lake and a great entertainment all summer long. Fishing at the lake was $1.00 during the week, and $1.50 on the weekends. The outdoor amphitheater had new seating which seated 1,500 and the acoustics were perfect. Admission to the Sunday shows was only 75 cents, and children under 10 were free. Entertainers for the summer included: Jimmie Dickens, Ferlin Huskey, Jim Reeves, Lester Flatt and Earl Scruggs, Lonzo and Oscar, Bill Monroe, Hank Snow, the Louvin Brothers and more. The shows were hosted by Miss Georgie whose amiable personality, cutting up, and dances made her a favorite with thousands of folks.  

      In June, 1957, the Beighle Brothers, Charles "Sam" and Paul, opened a small grocery store of approximately 2,000 square feet at 67 N. Main Street. They, along with nine other Greater Cincinnati grocers, became the Charter Members of the Independent Grocers Alliance, creating one of the first IGA stores in this area. The Beighle Brothers prospered and in 1959 they doubled the size of their store. In the years that followed, their brothers, Truett, Edward and Monty Beighle,  joined them.
    In 1964 they sold their business to Stan Jones and Dale Dowery. Jones operated the IGA store at 67 N. Main for several years but needed more room. After remodeling the James Theater, Jones moved the IGA to 51 N. Main Street (currently Walton Food Mart).
    Prior to this, the brothers operated a country store they  purchased from Harold and Florian Lusby in 1947 located at 104 N. Main Street (currently Main Street Cafe). During those days, items were kept behind the counter and the grocer waited on each individual customer.
 


Year Trustees/ Mayor Council

City Clerk

1948-1949

1950-51 Walton became a 5th Class City requiring appointment of 2 more trustees/council and appointment of Mayor.

Frank M. DeMoisey
Daniel J. Roberts
Powers R. Conrad
G. Kyle Nicholson
Russell M. Hall, Chairman
N/A Clearence Hoffman
       

Year

Mayor

Council

City Clerk

March 3, 1950 - 1951

R.M. Hall, appointed March 3, 1950

F. M. Demoisey
D. J. Roberts
P. R. Conrad
G. Kyle Nicholson
Glenn Eden, app April 13, 1950; resigned May 1, 1950
Nicholas "Nick" Welsh, appointed June 12, 1950

Clearence Hoffman

       

Year

Mayor

Council

City Clerk

1952-1953

R. M. Hall

P. R. Conrad
F. M. DeMoisey, resigned December 6, 1952
Leon Hall
Malcolm Simpson
James. W. Spencer
Gayle McElroy, appointed January 12, 1953
John W. Hartman

Clearence "C.W." Hoffman

       

Year

Mayor

Council

City Clerk

1954-1955

R. M. Hall

James. W. Spencer
Leon Hall
John Hartman
Malcolm Simpson
P. R. Conrad, resigned April 12, 1954
Gayle McElroy, resigned April 27, 1954
Lloyd Clements, appointed May 10, 1954
Clarence Hoffman, appointed May 1954
James Allphin
Harold L. Campbell
       

Year

Mayor

Council

City Clerk

1956-1957

R. M. Hall, resigned March 1, 1957
Leon Hall, appointed March 11, 1957
Leon Hall
Randell Martin
G. Harris Moore
D. Hess Vest, resigned September 6, 1956
G. Kyle Nicholson
Travis Dunn, resigned November, 1956
Robert Stephenson, appointed December 10, 1956
Clifford Chance, appointed April 8, 1957
Harold L. Campbell
John Romes
       

Year

Mayor

Council

City Clerk

1958-1959

Leon B. Hall

Randell Martin
Raymond Brewster
Chester Armstrong
Bryon Rector
Donald Stephenson
Robert Stephenson

John Romes

       
Year Mayor Council City Clerk
1960-1961 Leon B. Hall Mary A. Yealy-Hutton
Nicholas Welsh, resigned April 11, 1960
Bryon Rector
Randell Martin
Robert Stephenson
Howard Feldhaus
A. Clinton Shields, appointed May 9, 1960
John Romes
       
Year Mayor Council City Clerk
1962-1963 Kelly Kennedy Howard Feldhaus
Robert Stephenson
Dale Stephens
Woodrow. W. Greene
Paul Simpson
Chester Armstrong
Daisy Hill
       
Year Mayor Council City Clerk
1964-1965 Kelly Kennedy
Paul Simpson, appointed April 23, 1964
Howard Feldhaus
Robert Stephenson
Dale Stephens
Paul Simpson
Woodrow W. Greene
Chester Armstrong
Robert Eisenschmidt, appointed April 23, 1964
Daisy Hill
       
Year Mayor Council City Clerk
1966-1967 K. Dale Stephens Howard Feldhaus
Robert Eisenschmidt
Woodrow W. Greene
Edward Berkemeier, resigned January 24, 1967
Carl Gerth
Albert Martin
Chester Armstrong, appointed January 24, 1967
Daisy Hill
       
Year Mayor Council City Clerk
1968-1969 K. Dale Stephens Woodrow W. Greene
Robert Eisenschmidt
Chester Armstrong
Carl Gerth, resigned May 27, 1969
Luther Stephens
Albert Martin
Guy O. Carlisle, appointed May 25, 1969
Daisy Hill

 

Latest News

Post date: 06/25/2014 - 10:06

Residents can view the 2014 Consumer Confidence Report (CCR) on the City website at www.cityofwalton.org...

Post date: 04/15/2014 - 11:04

A very nice crowd gathered on Saturday, April 12th at 4:00 pm for the Purple Heart Memorial Dedication at the Walton Verona Veterans Memorial...

Post date: 03/11/2014 - 08:03

During City Council's last Caucas, they formed the 2014 Council Committees. They are as follows: Park - Matt Brown - Chair., Gabe Brown and...

Post date: 06/05/2013 - 08:06

For information and pictures regarding events at the Gaines Tavern History Center, "like" us at "Friends of Gaines Tavern" on Facebook. Share your...

Latest Video

00:00
 

Latest Photo Gallery